"A father of the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in His holy habitation. God sets the solitary in families..."Psalm 68:5-6a

Monday, November 5, 2012

my own path to a heart for adoption...

As promised, here's a little bit of my story. It's been a gradual progression...God has gently led me to the place I am today. It went something like this...


...I read the stories & saw the pictures on Reece's Rainbow & adoption blogs, & I was moved

...Eventually I wanted to help, so I gave a little money here & there, & prayed for them occasionally

...I learned more about the conditions they often face, & my mama's heart hurt for them

...I thought of my own children in the orphan's place, & I really saw them for the first time

...I saw the face of one boy, & I felt connected to one orphan personally, for the first time

...I learned that adoption wasn't an option for us, & I felt despair as I thought of "my" boy in the institution, waiting, indefinitely

...I turned to God, & He comforted me. He assured me that He can redeem the years the locusts have eaten, even in the orphanages & institutions. He reminded me that my first call is to delight in Him, & to share His love with those around me. He gave me the desire to do anything I can reasonably do to help these children who lie heavy on my heart. I say they lie heavy, but there is always the hope that comes from the knowledge that God in Heaven has a plan & He is bringing it about...I cannot fret when I remember His sovereignty, & His redemptive heart.

So now you all know where I'm coming from. One thing I often ask the Lord when I pray about hard & heavy things, is that He speak to me gently. His quiet, whispering voice does just that, & it makes me want to hush so I can really hear Him. Do you want to hear Him? I'm guessing you do...so tell Him so. Let Him speak to you gently...


No comments:

Post a Comment